Saturday, March 17, 2012

Don't Be Attached To The Results

Happy St. Patrick's Day to all of my Irish friends. My paternal great-grandfather was supposed to be a full-blooded, red-headed, fleckled Irishman. In my genealogy searches, I haven't been able to find out who his parents are so I don't know if that is truth or just family legion like my maternal great-grandmother who was supposed to be full-blooded Cherokee Indian and wasn't. She was half German and part French from her father and mother.

This morning I opened to March 17 St. Patrick's Day in one of my daily meditations books and liked what I read so I wanted to share it with you. The meditation book is Joan Borysenko's called POCKETFUL of MIRACLES, Prayers, Meditations, And Affirmations To Nurture Your Spirit Every Day Of The Year.

"Seed Thought
Anthropologist and writer Angeles Arrien cites four rules for life:

Show up

Pay attention

Tell the truth

Don't be attached to the results

I'm doing pretty well with the first three, but, as Buddha pointed out, the fourth one is the hardest and represents the path beyond suffering.

Prayer and practice
Think of the things that you have planned today.  Thank God for the opportunities for love, growth and service that have been given to you. Pray for the strength and courage to carry out all your affairs with clarity, integrity and committment---and without attachment to the results. Affirm:

I have faith in Your Divine Plan. Whatever the outcome of my efforts may be, I dedicate them to You and for the benefit of all people."


When I remember to give the results to God, I do much better than on those days that I try to control everything rather than facing whatever fear I may be feeling.  How are you doing with detachment?
Patricia

2 comments:

Rosemarie said...

Yes your part is to do what God leads you and the rest is up to the other.God wants your obedience,He delights in your service to do His will. You will be rewarded! : )

Patricia Singleton said...

Rosemary, thank you for your thoughts.