Wednesday, December 17, 2008

How Clean Are Your Windows?

A friend sent this email to me a few days ago. I can't give you the name of the person who originally wrote it since it is going around the in the cyberworld without the source being included. Here it is.



The Window Through Which We Look
"A young couple moves into a new neighborhood. The next morning while they are eating breakfast, the young woman sees her neighbor hanging the wash outside.
'That laundry is not very clean', she said.
'She doesn't know how to wash correctly.
Perhaps she needs better laundry soap.'


Her husband looked on, but remained silent.


Every time her neighbor would hang her wash to dry, the young woman would make the same comments.


About one month later, the woman was surprised to see a nice clean wash on the line and said to her husband:
'Look, she has learned how to wash correctly.
I wonder who taught her this?'


The husband said, 'I got up early this morning and cleaned our windows.'


And so it is with life. What we see when watching others depends on the purity of the window through which we look."




As I have said before, what you see about your world and other people always comes through the filters of your ego which are created by your experiences and beliefs. When is the last time that you cleaned the windows of your mind?
Patricia

Related Articles:

The Law Of The Garbage Truck
http://patriciasingleton.blogspot.com/2008/04/law-of-garbage-truck.html

We Can Only See Who We Are
http://patriciasingleton.blogspot.com/2008/07/we-can-only-see-who-we-are.html

Limiting Beliefs May Be Holding You Back or How Incest Is Still Affecting My Life
http://patriciasingleton.blogspot.com/2007/12/limiting-beliefs-may-be-holding-you.html

What Other People Think About You Is None Of Your Business
http://patriciasingleton.blogspot.com/2007/08/what-other-people-think-about-you-is.html

9 comments:

DeStouet said...

My windows are pretty clean but I have had to do lots of scrubbing in order to be able to say this.

See, I've always wanted clean windows; to be able to see things as they ARE, and not the way my ego wanted or needed to see it for my own pleasure.

It was nice that her husband helped her in her spiritual walk. Too many times we find that we have to wipe our own windows.

Patricia Singleton said...

DeStouet, I agree with you that it is nice that others can help us to see ourselves clearly when we can't do it by ourselves.

Anonymous said...

What a great article! Although I think we'll always frame every single thing through our "window." How things ARE is always subjective and created in part by the observer. But the window determines what we see, that's for sure!

Great stuff.

Blessings,
Andrea

Patricia Singleton said...

Andrea, thanks. I can't take credit for the story. The story does emphasize an idea that I have found to be very true. What we each see, we see through the filters/windows of our own experiences.

Patricia Singleton said...

Leal, thanks for your comment. I will check out your blog and wallpaper and let you know what I think.

Marj aka Thriver said...

This is a great story and a great message. I really like the law of the garbage truck as well.

Patricia Singleton said...

Marj, both of them are favorites of mine as well. That is why I chose to share them here on my blog. It is always a pleasure to have you leave a comment on my blog. Thanks.

Liara Covert said...

This is a clever post. You remind people silence is a powerful way to respond to judgment and negativity. Many people are conditioned to criticize and do not realize this sends them messages about negative energy within themselves. Judgment simply adds fuel to an already burning emotional fire. The theme of learning to cleanse your own emotional filter is a meaningful topic. Thanks for sharing this wisdom.

Patricia Singleton said...

Liara, judgments are a big issue for most of us. I love the way this husband dealt with it. You are right criticism does fuel the fire of judgments.