Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Gratitude---No New Year's Resolutions For Me

My friend Slade Roberson wrote an article on his blog Shift Your Spirits called "Stuck on Outcomes." Slade tells us about how his ego took over his life for a short time recently with a list of "shoulda, woulda, coulda" items and how it affected him.

To use some of Slade's own words, "The Naggot (which is the personification of my ego) got a hold of the microphone some time in the wee hours of the day after Christmas and I woke up already listening to some Shoulda Coulda Woulda Telethon, broadcast live on the Ungrateful Channel, right from my own Special Place In Hell."

Don't you just love Slade's wonderful sense of humor. I know it is part of the reason that I continue to be drawn to him and his blog Shift Your Spirits.

When in his article Slade started talking about how he doesn't do New Year's Resolutions, he really caught my attention. I used to make half-hearted attempts at writing resolutions each year just to beat myself up because I could never follow through and stay focused long enough to do them. I always wondered why I couldn't stick with them. Read Slade's article to see why he says he is a Scanner. I am not sure that I understand the concept fully. Maybe Slade can explain the concept here in a comment?

One thing Slade asked his readers to do was a 2008 Gratitude List. Here is my version of that list. I hope you will take the time to write your own.

2008 Gratitude List:
1. I am grateful for my on-line friends such as Slade Roberson, Corinne Edwards, Stephen Hopson, and so many more who have lead the way for me this year with their shared words of wisdom and their sense of humor.

2. I am grateful for my family and friends who I love very much. Our family and friends are often our greatest teachers because they know us so well and therefore they know which buttons to push to bring up whatever issues we may need to work on.

3. I am grateful for the guidance of my Spirit Guides and Guardian Angels and Ascended Masters. In 2009, I choose to become a better listener.

4. I am grateful for the bad stuff that happens in my life. Why? Because they bring the gift of knowledge and growth to my life. Everything has a purpose for happening and being.

5. I am grateful for my sense of humor which can lighten any heavy load. Laughing at myself is sometimes the best medicine that I can give to myself. No one puts me on a higher pedestal than I sometimes put myself.

6. I am grateful for the people that I meet who are wonderful examples of "what I want to be when I grow up." I may grow up but I don't ever want to grow old and set in my ways.

7. I am grateful for all of those people who have taught me about courage and love. Most of these people I have never met in person. Do you ever wonder how many people are affected by your actions and attitudes? I do.

8. I am grateful to God for all of the talents that I have been gifted with in this lifetime. In 2009, I want to find new ways to use those talents to help others.

9. I am grateful for every minute of Life that I have experienced---past, present and future. Without my past, I would not be who I am today. Without the present, I wouldn't know the joy of being. With the future comes new challenges and new lessons and new joys and excitement.

10. I am grateful for the year 2008 with all of its many lessons and challenges because I have grown through it all. Some of 2008, I would not want to repeat so I hope that I learned all of those lessons.

11. I am grateful to those people who bring love and joy into my life. I have been truly blessed by the people who have shared my life whether the time shared was just a few minutes or years.

12. I am grateful to be who I am and look forward to who I am becoming. I have grown to love who I am. I am excited about who I will become.

Well, Slade those are my 12 for 2008. The year is only a few days away from being over. It has been a glorious year and a challenging year for me in so many ways. I know that 2009 is going to be as good or better. Happy New Year to all.
Patricia

Here are links to some of the articles that have enriched my life today:
"Stuck on Outcomes" written by Slade Roberson found at http://sladeroberson.com/manifesting/stuck-on-outcomes.html/

"HOT FLASHES - and other tragedies of life" written by Corinne Edwards found at http://www.personal-growth-with-corinne-edwards.com/hot-flashes-and-other-tragedies-of-life/

"Detox Your Home And Feel Brand New:" written by Carole Fogarty found at http://thehealthylivinglounge.com/2008/12/29/detox-your-home-and-feel-brand-new/

"Stepping into Spiritual Authenticity" by Andrea Hess found at http://www.empoweredsoul.com/blog/2008/12/26/stepping-into-spiritual-authenticity/

"Stephen Hopson Interview with Lance of Jungle of Life, Part I or II" written by Stephen Hopson found at http://www.adversityuniversityblog.com/2008/12/24/stephen-hopson-interview-with-lance-of-jungle-of-life-part-i-of-ii/

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Patricia -

Thanks for the great link love.

I find it so amazing how I have made such good friends on the Internet - and have never met them personally.

I NEVER expected that!

I also never make New Year resolutions.

A few goals in mind but no corrections. I am old enough now to accept all my inperfections. To hell with them!

I am grateful for you!

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Patricia!

As always, I am especially grateful that you "get me" and take my ideas and really run with them.

Happy New Year!
Slade

Patricia Singleton said...

Corinne, Thank you. I am like you. I didn't have any idea of the wonderful friends that I would connect with on the internet. It sure makes your family bigger and more spread out. Heck, 2 years ago I barely knew how to search the internet. I didn't know how to set up and maintain a blog. I didn't know what a blog was.

Patricia Singleton said...

Slade, your ideas are easy to "get". You are welcome. Sharing the spotlight through my writing is something that I enjoy doing. I always like to share a good thing when I find it. Your writing on Shift Your Spirits has truly changed my life.

Anonymous said...

Like Corinne above, I don't bother making New Year's Resolutions either. I just make a decision during the year and commit to them like I did with the Raw/Living Food lifestyle. I'm still at it after 4 months of experimenting with the fine art of blending and juicing fruits and vegetables along with making delicious raw food plates!

Thanks to you, I bought a Juiceman Jr juicer and love it. I had to take one back because the dial fell off but I'm happy with it. In fact, I'm on the 2nd day of a 5 day self imposed juice feast/fast to purge myself of holiday food and drinks at my brother's house last week. I ate mostly raw but did have a few pieces of meat, potatoes and other things like sugary cookies and lots of wine. Whoo. Time to detox!

You've taken the art of gratitude to a whole new level and I'm inspired by it. I plan to do my weekly gratitude post in a few days, which will be perfect as it'll be posted just after New Year's Day.

Enjoy ushering it in tonight!

Patricia Singleton said...

Stephen, thanks for your comment. Your Gratitude posts inspire me. Happy New Year.

Anonymous said...

Your deliberate intentions are inspiring. Many people write New Year's lists without the kind of self-dirctedness and integrity that I sense comes out of your words. May the coming your expand your senses and remind you how blessed you are and growing still.

Patricia Singleton said...

Liara, thank you. I will take your words to heart.