Friday, February 24, 2012

Guest Blog Post on Forgiveness at Singing over the bones & rising from the ashes Blog

For those of you who are interested in more information about my struggles with forgiveness, I just had a guest blog article posted over at Singing over the bones & rising from the ashes Blog.  The name of the article is Patricia Singleton on "Forgiving". Here is the link for the article:

http://singingoverthebonesandrisingfromtheashes.wordpress.com/2012/02/24/patricia-singleton-on-forgiving/

Thank you to A Spirit of Healing for asking me to do this guest blog article. I appreciate the work that you do by sharing your blog and your story with other survivors. Together we can stop a future generation of children from being abused.
Patricia

2 comments:

Clueless said...

Thank you for sharing this. What she wrote is so true. This is what I say when I hear something about forgiveness being simple, "However, most believe that somehow believe that once we say those magic words, "I forgive you," all pain and hurt just disappear. But it doesn't always work that way. Often we must go through a process before we can completely heal from the hurt and forgive our loved one for the hurt he or she caused. You must first start with yourself and truely forgive an accept yourself and feel the pain that has been caused. People often overlook this part. Then, it is accepting not only yourself, but accepting the other person for who they are. Forgiveness is often a long painful process. It takes time...however long that it is for you. Be patient with yourself and the process and don't judge yourself for not being able to do it.Remember that Jesus felt our pain as he forgave." (The short version)

Patricia Singleton said...

Clueless, thank you. I always share my ideas about forgiveness through my own experiences. I don't judge myself or anyone else for their ability to do forgiveness. I remember thinking I would never be able to forgive my abusers. It was only though a very long process of healing myself that I did finally reach that place of being able to forgive. If others go there or not is their decision. I appreciate you sharing what you have learned about the process of forgiving. It can be very painful and I know that anyone that wants to can get there too. Not everyone wants to and that is okay too.