Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Dreams Can Teach Us About Ourselves

A friend once told me that every character in our dreams represents some part of ourselves. With that I mind, I will share the dream that I had this morning.

I have changed the name of the male in my dream "to protect the inocent".

In the dream, I am visiting a friend named Patrick. We are in his office with his young secretary. She apparently said or did something that Patrick did not like. Patrick threw a temper tantrum knocking everything on his secretary's desk to the floor. There was a bed in the room. During Patrick's tantrum, I laid down and pretended to be asleep. I was being polite by pretending not to notice his rage. The secretary was very frightened by Patrick's outburst. She left the room.

I sat up and talked to Patrick about his outburst. (I have forgotten the exact conversation. That is the problem with not remembering the dream until several hours after I woke up. I always lose some of the important details.) Patrick was so upset that he had tears in his eyes. That was the end of the dream.

What do these 3 people represent in me?
Patrick---Am I still raging when I don't get my way? Is it still easier for me to do rage than admit that I am frightened?
The secretary---Am I still frightened by other people's rage?
Me---Am I still hiding from my own feelings? Is there still unaccessed rage hiding inside of me that I haven't acknowledged? Am I still pretending that everything is ok when it isn't?

I need to acknowledge and forgive myself for still continuing in these old patterns of behavior. I need to search out the ways that I am still doing this.

If you are interested in reading more about working with dreams, I read 2 really well written articles by Kara-Leah Masina on her blog. Check them out at http://www.klmasina.co.nz/2007/05/07/how-to-work-with-your-dreams/

and the second article is at http://www.klmasina.co.nz/2007/06/04/how-to-work-with-your-dreams-part-2/

7 comments:

klm said...

Hey Patricia,

Thank you for the links and comments, much appreciated - and also for the reminder into how people in our dreams are aspects of ourselves.

Much joy,
Kara-Leah

Patricia Singleton said...

Kara-Leah,
You are very welcome. I have been reading and enjoying several of your articles this week.

Patricia Singleton said...

This article has been accepted into the Meditation, Yoga & Spiritual Growth Carnival - August 20, 2007 - Edition #6 put together by Anmol Mehta found at http://anmolmehta.com/blog/2007/08/21/meditation-yoga-spiritual-growth-carnival-edition-6/ . Check out all of the great articles found in this carnival.

marry said...

Blogs are so informative where we get lots of information on any topic. Nice job keep it up!!
_____________________________

Science Dissertation

Patricia Singleton said...

Marry, thank you. I agree that blogs and the internet are excellent sources of information.

Dissertation Writing service said...

This kind of information is very limited on internet. Nice to find the post related to my searching criteria. Your updated and informative post will be appreciated by blog loving people.

Dissertation Conclusion

Patricia Singleton said...

Dissertation Writing service, thank you for your comment. I am glad that you found my post informative on the subject of dreams.